Monday, January 11, 2010

What Comes Next for David Harmer

David Harmer is running against Jerry McNerney for the CA-11. I am 100% full in support of Harmer and will not press for an independent or libertarian candidate unless Harmer strays from Tea Party principles along the way.

> Dear Edward:
>
> After the campaign, the Harmer family was relieved to return to private life, and content to stay there. But the day after the election, I received this message:
>
>
> I can't thank you enough for the inspiration and hope that you have given so many of us. Earlier today I started receiving phone calls and emails from friends wanting to support you again. I realize that this race took a lot from you and your family. But if you ever run for any political position again, I want to be the first to write a check.
>
>
> I've never felt so hopeful and motivated by any candidate as I was when I first met you. This was why I wanted to contribute to your campaign and to introduce you to so many of my friends. They too have been excited by the opportunity of your representing us.
>
>
> David, you have a great future. All of us are really proud of what you've accomplished. America needs an honest politician like you, standing up for our constitutional rights. This election has left me proud and very hopeful for the future.
>
>
> I encourage you to get back on the horse and ride again. You will find that your base of support is even bigger now than you ever imagined.
>
>
>
> It was the first of hundreds of messages urging me to run again and promising support. Many of them voiced a common theme:
>
>
> "I encourage you to continue to be involved. Look for an area that has more opportunity for a Republican to win."
>
> "Run in a more friendly district."
>
> "Don't give up! Start your next campaign for Congress now. The political winds will be blowing in your direction next November, and McNerney's seat may be vunerable to a challenge."
>
> "With the current political environment, I think McNerney is ripe for the plucking."
>
> "Hope you run again, 10th or 11th. Send McNerney packing."
>
>
>
> When prominent Republicans first asked me to run in the 11th District, I dismissed the idea because I didn't live there. I had just finished making fun of my opponent for running in a district where he didn't live.
>
>
> "Did it make any difference?" they asked.
>
>
> I had to admit that it didn't. I never met a voter who could honestly say, "I was going to vote for Garamendi. I agreed with him on the issues. But then I found that he lived outside the district, so I supported you instead." Voters cared about who we were and what we stood for, not where we lived.
>
>
> Garamendi isn't unique in that respect, by the way. Republican Tom McClintock lives outside the district he represents. The Constitution requires candidates for Congress to live within the state from which they seek election, but not the district.
>
>
> Although I ran in the 10th District last time, many of my donors and volunteers came from the 11th District. And naturally so: I live only two miles from the border between the two.
>
>
> Most of my city, San Ramon, is in the 11th District, as is our neighboring city, Danville. Most of our school district is in the 11th District. The church where we worship is in the 11th District. The Costco where we shop is in the 11th District. Madison goes to basketball practice in the 11th District, Jonas goes to track practice in the 11th District, Ariel goes to ballet in the 11th District, and Ben goes to tae kwon do in the 11th District. Most of the kids I've coached in soccer and Little League live in the 11th District, as do most of the scouts I've served as a merit badge counselor. And after the lines are redrawn following this year's census, my home may well be right back inside the 11th District.
>
>
> In contrast to the 10th, the 11th District has more Republicans than Democrats (39.6% Republicans, 39.2% Democrats). The seat was held by Republican Richard Pombo until 2006, when Democrat Jerry McNerney defeated him.
>
>
> With so many of the volunteers and donors who live in the 11th District urging me to run there, we commissioned a poll of 450 likely voters. It found that my name recognition is relatively strong, my favorability rating is high, residency is not an issue, and the district is growing more congenial to Republicans.
>
>
> All that good news leads to an announcement: I'm running for Congress again ... from the 11th District!
>
>
> Yours truly,
>

>
> David Harmer

No comments: