Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Letter to my Congressman about Health Care Bill

Congressman McNerney,

 

I have downloaded and am currently trying to read and understand HR. 3200.  I believe it is imperative that you also fully understand this legislation before you put your name to it. 

 

Real reform will come from a careful deliberative legislative process.  Not from a trumped up panic and fear that causes Congress to abandon rational action just for the sake of change.

 

Several provisions in this bill are particularly alarming.

 

I currently participate in a Health Savings Account with a high deductable family plan.  My HSA plan has saved me thousands in premiums and has encouraged me to be responsible and accountable with my healthcare consumption.  By my reading, HSA plans will be illegal after the passage of this bill.  Why eliminate and option that works for me and my family?

 

I am also very concerned with privacy issues relating to the bill.  I see provisions that allow the government to access my financial records in real time and provisions that require the government help decide end of life issues and rationing of services.  Is this really the role that American's want for their government?

 

I believe private market solutions are the only way to enact sustainable reform.  Creating a huge bureaucracy and a massive new entitlement plan will not result in better care or cost savings.  It will be one more program that burdens my children with debt and a future of diminished opportunities.

 

At the end of the day government programs are wasteful and inefficient as compared to private market based solutions.    

 

Thank you for your consideration.

 

No comments: